Los Angeles, Calif., Oct 28, 2019 / 07:11 pm (CNA) – As 16 wildfires continue to incinerate thousands of acres of land in California, destroying businesses and homes, Archbishop Jose Gomez has called for prayers for the victims of the fires.
“We are facing a new outbreak of fires in the San Fernando and Santa Clarita regions,” Archbishop Gomez said in a statement on Friday, October 25.
“Please pray with me for the families at risk and also for the firefighters and other first responders. May God keep them all safe and bring these fires to an end! May Our Blessed Mother Mary be close to all of them,” he said.
The Getty and Tick fires, located in the area of the archdiocese, have burned at least 5,000 acres so far. The fires have caused mass evacuations and the closings of several Catholic schools in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
Last Friday, 20 elementary schools and two high schools in the archdiocese were closed due to the fires. By Monday, Oct. 28, eight of the schools remained closed due to the Getty and Tick fires.
“Our prayers are with all those who are impacted or harmed by the fires, especially families who are evacuated and for the firefighters, police and others working to keep people safe,” the archdiocese said in a statement last Thursday.